ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: When it comes to falling off....

Re: When it comes to falling off....

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 06:37:25 -0800

Niccolai Murphy wrote:

> > NEVER LET GO OF YOUR HORSE!..
...after she pulled a mare down on her....

This is a tough call, and that is exactly what the "Horse Illustrated"
article warned against. I too, mostly just forget to let go of the
reins, but my grip isn't very close to the headstall either, so I end up
hitting the ground at a run usually and can stop my horse.

> Me? I always forget to let go of things. I'm the guy who belly skis for
> a hundred yards because he forgets to let go of the tow boat after
> loosing his skis...

Yessiree!!! I also forget to let go and I'm pretty good at skiing on my
face!!

> By the way, anyone else feel that it's the little horses that cause more
> involuntarily dismounts than the larger ones? Binky little Arabs in
> particular?...

That clumsy gelding I mentioned in a previous post was only 13.3 and
inbred. He traced to the same stallion several times close up in
father/daughter and brother/sister matings. That stallion by the way,
is a legend in the showring. This horse was very pretty, but couldn't
trot himself out of a paper bag! He became a lot less pretty in my eyes
as I got to know him...Pretty is as pretty does.

> Speaking of loose horses. Is it coincidence and happened where I gone to
> so far or do horses and or mules always get loose overnight at all
> endurance campsites? What precautions do you take to avoid this?

We wear our best horse-hunting jammies to bed!!! *smile*
~Nikki~