Re: LD

Jim Mitchell (navion@lsbsdi2.lightspeed.net)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:52:12 -0800

K S Swigart wrote:

> > "Winning" an LD ride in my book is
> > nothing to brag about. Join the QIDM Marathon racing team instead and get
> > the thrill of winning money and the admiration of the sheiks.
>
> Well....Qatar is rather a long ways away from Southern California (for
> Kris) and why should she have to go all the way to Qatar if there are
> people here who want to do the same thing.

Normally I agree with you but not here. And maybe my reason isn't valid but I think it
is. AERC endurance riding is a sport with rules. When I play a sport I like to play by
the rules. After all it is a sport/hobby, not my job or life and death. So if the
sport's rules say LD's are not races then I play by those rules. Somebody has to be
first in a 25, I have no problem with that. I also don't have a problem with them being
very proud at their horses time and recoveries. But since at least some are not entering
their best horses in the LD to race, I can't see how anyone could brag about winning a
LD and feel good about that bragging.

(am I the only one who hasn't entered his fastest horse in a LD so I could brag about
not following the sport's rules and goals)

Jim Mitchell
Bakersfield, Ca.