Re: Limited Distance

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:48:20 -0800

DreamWeaver wrote:

> Here is another question I have wondered about. In the West Region, a few
> of the rides here do offer 25 mile 'training rides', though they are usually
> not sanctioned. AERC will offer a LD rider recognition for completing 500
> LD miles. In order to complete that many LD rides in this area by going to
> the sanctioned LD rides, it would take at least 8 years. Yet, a 50 mile
> rider gets a recognition patch at 250 miles.
>
> I think part of the reason the LD rides are not sanctioned (correct me if I
> am wrong) is that by not sanctioning them the ride management can keep the
> entry fees lower. Would LD riders be willing to pay the same entry fee as a
> 50 miler to ride 25 or 30 miles?
>
> Has anybody ever done an elevator ride from a 25 to a 50? Is there enough
> interest out there to do one? If there is, please let me know.
>
> Happy Trails,
>
> Karen
> in Gardnerville
> & Weaver who has done 5 LD's, only 1 was AERC sanctioned
> & Rocky has done 4 LD's, 2 were sanctioned

Hi Again Karen,
Yes, my 70-something former endurance rider friend, and I would be very
interested. She broke her hip in a fall from her horse a couple years
ago, and it still hurts her to ride, but she's out there on her
Peruvian, "beating eggs to beat the band" with me on training rides.
She can average 6-7 mph for three to four hours now and is improving
steadily. I have that whole weekend off and have her talked into the 25
at least. We'd like the chance to elevate to the 50 if she's up to it.
Also, yes...I'm being a good girl and saving my money for the
convention and PROMISE to check out your saddles first! We may even
haul Jakar there for a fitting, if Virginia wants to take her trailer.
I would like to try a SS at home for a week or two also. I only get to
ride a couple times a week in the winter, so it'll take that long to
check out how he goes in one.
Thanks, Nikki