RE: Fire Mtn. was windy!

Jennifer Heim (JHEIM@gunder.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:00:00 -0800

I, too, was at Fire Mtn and windy doesn't even start to cover it!
Leaving base camp (three times during the ride) into the worst headwinds
of the ride made for some grumpy horses. My horse normally has a heart
rate of 70ish walking on the flat, but into the headwinds it was 130+
**just walking on the flat**!! Posting into the wind made for real
adventure - riders were ending up on the back of the saddle. I was
watching horses (not just littler horses like an Icelandic, but some big
appys too) getting blown all over the trail and people in camp walking at
a 70 degree just to get around (don't even ask about the porta-potty in
50 mph gusts)

But weren't those tail winds fun!! Yahoo!

Jen & the Sunman

----------
From: Oldwaggy[SMTP:Oldwaggy@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 1997 6:34 AM
To: ridecamp
Subject: Fire Mtn. was windy!

How much does wind affect horses at endurance rides? At the Fire Mtn.
Ride
near Ridgecrest, CA., last Saturday, the footing was great out in the
desert
and the grades were gradual (just shy of 5,000 ft cumulative uphill).
The
weather was awful. We met with a hailstorm in the morning and strong
winds
all day. The weather didn't seem to slow down the winner Renee Bowers
since
her riding time could not have been more than four and a half hours.
Something sure pooped out my Icelandic pony, Remington, and me, though.
He
normally likes cold weather and generally comes into vet checks at
criteria.
He didn't have any problems with recoveries at this ride either but did
take
3 or 4 min. at the last vet check to meet criteria. He really seemed to
struggle to trot into the headwinds. When he cantered he sometimes got
blown
sideways. It took us almost eight hours to finish. It took us half an
hour
longer last year but that was our first fifty. I didn't get off and run
much
but I'm still really sore. The racket the wind made was exhausting. I'm
curious if high winds bother other horses and their riders.

John Parke
Solvang, CA.