Re: Fire Mtn. was windy!

Reynolds, Nikki (jakar@aiinc.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 06:15:20 -0800

Oldwaggy@aol.com wrote:

> How much does wind affect horses at endurance rides? At the Fire Mtn. Ride
> near Ridgecrest, CA., last Saturday, the footing was great out in the desert
> and the grades were gradual (just shy of 5,000 ft cumulative uphill). The
> weather was awful. We met with a hailstorm in the morning and strong winds
> all day. The weather didn't seem to slow down the winner Renee Bowers since
> her riding time could not have been more than four and a half hours.
> Something sure pooped out my Icelandic pony, Remington, and me, though. He
> normally likes cold weather and generally comes into vet checks at criteria.
> He didn't have any problems with recoveries at this ride either but did take
> 3 or 4 min. at the last vet check to meet criteria. He really seemed to
> struggle to trot into the headwinds. When he cantered he sometimes got blown
> sideways. It took us almost eight hours to finish. It took us half an hour
> longer last year but that was our first fifty. I didn't get off and run much
> but I'm still really sore. The racket the wind made was exhausting. I'm
> curious if high winds bother other horses and their riders.
>
> John Parke
> Solvang, CA.

Hello John,
I can relate to that one! We live at about 3500 feet in a high desert
valley in Nevada. The winds come through here at 50-90 mph at times and
sometimes we'll have winds for two or three weeks straight. I rode one
of the many windy Derby Ditch 50's a few years ago, and spent a lot of
time practically laying down on my horse on the leg going into the 50
mph winds. I lost my bandana, the shirt I had tied around my waist, as
well as my riding partner, who couldn't take the buffeting any longer,
AND my pit crew. My crew were first-timers (and pleasure riders) who've
decided this "endurance thing" is for the insane!
The one thing I've since found helpful in preparing for wind is to
train in it. Yahoo...You usually get to ride all alone on those, but
that's part of endurance training too. You'll probably find it harder
to get, (and keep), your horse in a steady pace in high winds, but the
practice will pay off on those windy rides. You'll have the added bonus
of a much calmer horse in the wind too.
Protective goggles would probably be good for those sand-slinging
rides, but I don't have them for my horse, so I don't wear mine. When
my eyes have had all they can take, we call it a day.
You have to watch your horse's hydration more closely under those
conditions as well. Not only is he working harder, but the wind's
evaporative power is much greater. He'll need more water than in other
weather, just as you will. There's no question about it, wind does take
more out of both of you and all you can do is practice in those
conditions to prepare.
~Nikki~