Re: HYPP?, long pasterns, gelding rebates

Phil Woods (prw@okway.okstate.edu)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:03:23 -0800

Robbi,

A couple of minor points; it is cerebellar hypoplasia, not
hyperplasia. Also while you are probably correct in the global sense
that it is most likely that only QH-type progeny of IMPRESSIVE line
horses are affected by HYPP, any HYPP outcross to another breed could
further transmit the defective gene, perpetuating the carrier state.
Fortunately there is a genetic test for this condition (HYPP).

Phil Woods.

Subject: HYPP?, long pasterns, gelding rebates
Author: Robbi Pruitt <Robbi_Pruitt@bendnet.com> at SMTP
Date: 1/28/97 10:24 AM

Tommy Crockett,
Before we bad mouth a fine group of horses out there, (McCoys) let me
say that HYPP is a disease that affects ONLY quarter horses that
descend from the popular halter sire Impressive. There are several
genetic problems out there that do affect Arabians, most notably CID
and cerebellar hyperplasia. Because very little was known about these
problems in the past and we still have no way of testing for them I
don't think it's very fair to blame any particular breeder. The only
way to know, at this point, that any horse is a carrier, is to have a
foal produced that suffers from the disease. Also, it is interesting to
note that current estimates are that 25-30% of the purebred Arabian
gene pool carries one or the other of these genes.
Shannon (long pasterns),
Yes, I consider long pasterns to be a severe fault, however, a short
story to add.
I GAVE AWAY Rushcreek Queball as a 3 year old filly because she had long
and soft pasterns. I did not feel that she would hold up as an endurance
horse and did not want to pass the trait along as a broodmare either.
Maryben loves to rub this in, but I have to admit she did very well as
an endurance horse. She carried Julie Suhr to her 20th Tevis completion
and completed over 2000+ miles with many top tens.
Colleen (gelding rebates),
Yes the Registry still gives gelding rebates. If the colt was born
after 1990 and was gelded without producing any registered progeny, the
owner can send their registration certificate to the registry and
receive a $50 rebate. If you were to check progeny records, you would
find that most "stallions" registered with the AHR have never produced
offspring and most likely are geldings.

Robbi Pruitt
Canyonside Ranch Arabians