Re: Hackamores vs. bits

BP&A (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:17:00 +1000

Kathy Shank wrote:

> I am under the impression that a hackamore is more beneficial than a bit
> during a ride because it allows the horse to eat/drink more freely than with
> a bit. Is this true or doesn't it matter?

I have been using hackamores since 1986 when my horse bolted with me in
a bit for 40klm!! Switched to a hackamore and never had a problem
since.
Apart from that, they do allow the horse to eat and drink without the
hindrance of a bit. The ones here have leather nosepieces. I take them
off and have plastic ones made to measure. Much stronger and safer as
it's no fun if they break.

Anne