Re: .Limited Distance

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:56:36 -0800

Wrecksduke@aol.com wrote:

> Teddy,
>
> I think you've just insulted a lot of beginners and experienced riders who
> train hard to compete and have fun at the limited distances.
>
> I also beg to differ on your point that "most of the riders and horses who do
> this aren't the least bit fit or know anything about fittness." Some of
> these folks might know a hell of lot more than some of the most experienced
> people out there and they might also be more fit. Maybe "some" is a better
> word than "most."
>
> I like your awarding of ribbons.... kind of like the t-shirts and
> certificates. I thought it was nice for Terry to award BC for the LD at
> Warner. Lynne, from the middle of the pack, was acknowledged for
> conditioning and piloting her horse to the finish in great shape. Hey, she
> probably had a lot of fun too! Didn't you Lynne?
>
> Maybe a little too sensitive,
> Melody

Not that Teddy needs anyone to speak on her behalf, but I think the
people Teddy was referring to are those who are too lazy to condition
themselves or their horses for 50's or better, but THEN will try to race
that same horse at excessive speeds through a 25, potentially causing
far more damage, even though the distance is "limited". We've all seen
people who "win" the LD's on horses that are heaving and dehydrated and
otherwise in distress. This is an entirely different species of rider
from those who ride the LD's because of time constraints or many other
valid reasons, but still ride their horses at a reasonable and
responsible pace. I don't think Teddy meant to imply that those who
ride LD's are unfit or ignorant, just that there are those who ARE unfit
and ignorant who happen to ride LD's and try to make it into a "race"
when they shouldn't.

Susan