Re: CMK again

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:25:31 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Susan F. Evans wrote:

> well (there was nothing on earth that could trot like Reign On), EXCEPT
> for unsoundness. Blown tendons in front kept him from the U.S. Nat'ls
> and ultimately ended his performance career and put him into stud.

It never ceases to amaze me the willingness of people whose star
performers break down in their performance careers, to retire these
horses to the breeding farm. Is it only me that considers this to be an
irresponsible breeding practice. Why would ANY responsible breeder
choose to breed an unsound horse? Whatever happened to that old TB adage:
"Race and breed the fast, sound ones...race and sell the fast, unsound ones."

When it comes to breeding...look very closely at a horse that was "retired
due to injury" and assure yourself that this injury was not cause by some
heritable trait. E.g. getting kicked by the horse next door is the type
of injury that probably won't get passed on to offspring. Bowed tendons
sustained during the rigors of training??? That horse is NOT what I
consider to be breeding stock.

Am I the only one who feels this way??

kat
Orange County, Calif.