RE: Looking for advice

Jacqueline Mansfield (jaxson@leopard.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:44:25 -0700

>Okay so everyone got a good giggle out of my last question, so
>I thought I would try again. What I really should have asked was
>what do you look for in choosing your endurance horse.

In order of my preference...

1. Conformation (good legs, short strong back, etc, etc.)
2. Attitude; I prefer an affectionate, relaxed, personable attitude over a
"gotta be first", "gotta win", horse. I don't want to be first (or even in
the top ten), I just want to have fun with my equine buddy!
3. Size; 14.2 or 14.3, much higher than that and I wont be able to get back
on halfway through long rides (I know this from experience, thank God for
stumps).
4. Color isn't important *BUT* I have learned to love how reflective those
white (grey) horses are when it's dark out! : )

Jacqueline and Winza (just call me the Equine Flashlight!)

Author owned by Winza, 13 year old Crabbet Arabian gelding

I used to dream of owning a flashy chesnut or bright bay, perhaps even a
shining black, but when my perfect horse came in a never-to-be-clean
white... I shrugged and realized the meaning of "A good horse is never a
bad color".