RE: Saudis?

Connie Hoge (pvtevt@msn.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 97 19:59:41 UT

----------
From: SandyDSA@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 1997 10:15 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: Saudis?

<< hat the attitudes towards the horse's welfare in a very different
culture is strikingly different in many instances. This is not in any
way an attack on their culture or beliefs, I'm only passing on what I
heard, which (in the former case) was admittedly third or fourth hand
hearsay and may have gained or lost alot in the telling. I certainly
hope that this is all incorrect. >>
Hi Susan!
I too have heard this - emphasis on "HEARD", from more than one person, that
the opinion of the culture as a whole, is that a horse who dies on the way
was not quality anyway, and the horses who finish alive, live to race another
day, while the winners are quite the celebrity - as long as they keep
winning.
san

Have you heard the story about how the stallions were picked for breeding?
They raced them across the desert, the one that was left at the end bred the
mares! Or how they slit the nostrils to increase air flow? Do I need to go
on?

Connie H.