Re: Horse Chiropractic

BP&A (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:38:18 +1000

Susan F. Evans wrote:

> Speaking of alternative therapies, I'd be interested in comments on
> using equine chiropractors. Does anyone use them on a regular basis?
> Would you use one? Under what circumstances, ie maintenance/injury
> only/last ditch effort? Just curious.
>
> Susan Evans

I have been using a chiropractor for several years now. I am also an
equine massage therapist. You have to look for someone who is not just
a chiropractor but will look at the whole horse and will use several
alternate therapies in conjunction with each other i.e. massage,
manipulation, homeopathy etc.etc.

The first horse I noticed a big difference on was a gelding who I had
been copeting on for years. I always had to keep him warm and walking
during strapping as he would stiffen up in the stifles. After the
chiropractor had worked on him I could strap him the same as any other
horse.

I have now got to the stage that I can pick any change in my horses'
gait. They would not look lame, would not vet out but I would know that
something was wrong. My chiropractor would fix the problem and the
horse's gait would be back to normal.

The real benefit is if you can get your chiropractor to work with you on
long rides (160klm+ or marathons). Mines checks my horse at the end of
each leg and makes any minor adjustments. At the end of a marathon it
is usually just a security check.

The first marathon the chiropractor worked at, horses would come to him
when something was wrong. Several times the horse completed the ride.
Over the years the horses come at each check and there is a much larger
percentage completing the ride. My mare will automatically turn her
neck to one side to let him know that she is out on that side! Massage
works well in conjunction as the horses which have been massaged retain
their adjustments better and quite often do not need as many
adjustments.

The only problem you have is the old one of vets vs chiropractors and
things can get a bit touchy if a chiropractor is seen to be working at a
ride where the vet doesn't believe.

I would now hate to go to a long ride and not have the chiropractor
there. Even if your horse is adjusted before the event, quite often the
float trip can put them out quite a lot.

Go for it - BUT find a good one. There are a lot of bad ones about.

Anne