Re: how do you do it?

Rebecca Hackworth (bechack@cnsii.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:10:15 -0800

At 03:37 PM 1/21/97 PST, you wrote:

>Tina and Bobbie,
>
>You are not the only ones who are out by flashlight, banging buckets,
>hauling water, cramming in last minute gotta haves, mixing up
>tomorrow's rations and e-lytes, filling the Vet Check tubs, rearranging
camp while the neighbors try to snooze.

>At 11:00 pm, as I contemplate a preride night's sleep, I often ask myself
>what is different about my lifestyle compared to those riders who were
camped by 2:00 pm, had FAC in camp and were in the rack by 9:30. I usually
>come up with the following list of possibilities.
>
>Here are some of the differences:
>They have a pit crew. HAVE NEVER HAD ONE IN 2 1/2 YEARS!

>They have a camper that says packed all season. MY TRUCK CAMPER ONLY KEEPS
THE PAPER GOODS AND THE SLEEPING BAGS LEFT IN IT. MY TRAILER DOESN'T HAVE A
TACK ROOM SO I HAVE TO PACK ALL OF THAT EACH TIME

>They either have help back at the ranch or they only have one horse. DON'T
HAVE HELP AT HOME FOR ANYTHING ! MARRIED TO THE ORIGINAL COUCH POTATOE ( OR
IS THAT COMPUTER POTAOTE ? :-) ) AND IS NOT INTO THE GREAT OUTDOORS, EVEN
OUT THE FRONT DOOR.

>They don't have a family. SORRY, WRONG ON THIS ONE TOO. MOTHER OF 5 KIDS,
15, 12, 10, 9 AND 6 YEARS OLD. CURRENTLY HAVE 3 RIDING WITH ME.

>They don't have a full-time job. WRONG AGAIN. I DO WORK 12 HOUR SHIFTS,
SO I GET MORE DAYS OFF, BUT OFTEN PUT IN 7-8 SHIFTS PER 2 WEEKS.

>There may be more differences but by the end of this list, i'm usually
>asleep. :>O
>
>I'd still be interested to know how they do it. However, if it requires
>taking more time it won't work for me. I just don't have it. I END UP NOT
GETTING ANY SLEEP THURSDAY NIGHT, 'CAUSE THAT IS WHEN I AM PACKING. i LIKE
TO LEAVE ONLY THE HORSES TO LOAD ON FRIDAY MORNING.

>Maybe we could start a support group for those of us who obsessively pack
>by flashlight. HOW ABOUT ONE FOR THE CRONICLY EXHAUSTED

Happy Trails to all

Becky Hackworth

K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) :->