Re: how do you do it?

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:23:45 -0800

tina hicks wrote:

> What kinds of things do you do before leaving home that make setting up
> camp, vetting in and getting stuff ready for the checks easier once you
> arrive at a ride??

What I found works for me is to have everything organized to the point
of retentiveness before I ever leave home. For example, electrolytes
are already mixed and in syringes and taped so they don't leak, saddle
is ABSOLUTELY cleaned, fresh pads put on, heart monitor bag clipped to
d-rings, trail necessities already in cantle bag. Stuff to send to
check is in a labeled bag, ready to go. Clothing for Saturday morning
is also put into it's own bag, stuffed inside sleeping bag, along with
not-clothing things you might need to get you going---contact lens
solution, sunscreen, baby powder, etc. It also helps if at all possible
to have some things that live in your trailer and never get pillaged
while at home---ie a lunge line, medical kit, spare leg wraps, a basic
tool kit. Whatever I need just before I go (leg wraps, halter, etc.)
are laid out right next to Cato's stall so I don't have to go here and
there gathering things up. And make a list of EVERYTHING you will need
and check it off the night before---I didn't do this ONCE and sure
enough, showed up at a ride without a girth for the saddle. It was a
weird size for an OF, not another one in camp, so had to drive back home
to get it and started the ride already exhausted from no sleep.

Any of my friends will tell you I'm a fairly disorganized person, but
this is one area where the more exhaustively you organize well before
you leave, the more relaxed you'll be on Friday.

Good luck!

Susan Evans