Re: electrolytes

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 14:54:14 -0600

At 02:02 PM 1/14/97 +0800, Anne Barnes wrote:
>There has been some very interesting discussion on what different people
>feed their horses, and speculation on minerals etc. I would like to hear
>what is provided in the way of electrolyte supplementation to your horses. I
>imagine this also varies from very simple to complicated, but would
>appreciate hearing the full range!

I use endura-lytes right now because I won a container at a ride (for being
the middle of the road rider - is that cute or what?) - use them during
training rides in *hot* weather (I'm in AL so that means not till around 90
or so) and for a day before and after an actual ride.

When that container runs out - not sure what I'll use :-). Both Arabs eat
the enduralytes on top of their feed - that's a real plus to me.

I don't have any fancy schedule for electrolyting during a ride - each vet
check, both feedings on friday, and at least Sunday morning.

One thing I will do this season is bite the bullet and pay for some already
mixed paste syringes (suggestions??) to use during rides - mixing, putting
in syringes, making sure it doesn't spill everywhere, travelling with
applesauce - too much of a pain. Also reading now that it's better to do it
in small doses along the trail rather than wait and give big dose at check.
Tina
Huntsville, AL
hickst@nichols.com