Re: Winter hoof woes & blankets

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 17:57:30 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997 HorseWorks@aol.com wrote:

> Being in the excavating business and having horses, SAND is the best, at
> least in our area of western Kentucky. Sand drains better than anything else
> we've tried. We can put sand in a muck area -- for instance the doorway
> (water runs off the roof and saturates the ground making a mud hole) where
> the horses go in and out of the barn. I won't have to replace or add sand

Being from a beach area (where the surfing was awesome this morning I
might add) one can't avoid sand. I've had my share of sand colic woes. In
our paddocks we use the natural sandy loam soil mixed with imported clean
road base. I drains extremely well and gives a decent surface on which the
horses can live a bit more comfortably. I've found, over the years,
shavings are more of a hassel then they are worth. It becomes urine
saturated, doesn't drain and requires mucking the entire mess out faster
then jack robin could dance an Irish jig. It's granite road base highly
pulverised not the red rock road base.

*******Just my two cents all standard disclaimers apply*******
****not the only method on earth just mine that's all****

Tommy Crockett <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, California 93402-2715
"it won't matter what you're saying when
the damage has all been done"
Mary Chapin Carpenter