Re: Endophytes/Fescue Toxicity...

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:01:45 -0600

I lost a foal last year and this was one of the possiblities discussed. The
hay I"d been feeding was supposed to be have no fescue in it, but I think
there was some lurking. THere were other problems too, but this mare had no
milk until after foaling and she was very very early. I've heard more
troubles iwth earlier foaling rather than later foalings.

Also, while fescue won't hurt a gelding, it does tend to keep them from
being as healthy as they might be if this is only hay fed. A combo is
better. Of course, there are the new endophyte free fescues out there.

At 10:15 PM 1/10/97 +0500, you wrote:
>HI Jorene...
>Fescue hosts a "bug" called an endophyte that causes problems in pregnant
>mares. I don't know the exact mechanism (will be reviewin git again
>shortly...) but it causes problems with placentas and foals primarily... Its
>main effects are lengthening the gestational period of mares to way beyond
>the due date- it interferes witht eh normal hormone cycles of mares and
>foals near parturition.
>It also thickens the placenta and causes retained placentas and problems
>with foaling.

Alice Steinke
Willie (15 pound 3 yo red wire), Lacie (7 yo schnauzer mix), Sandy ( 6mo
cocker puppy)
Turbo, the cat
Hannah and Chester, the horses

If I ruled the World, Every Day would be the First day of Spring.