Re: Thank you Robert Morris! :)

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:52:47 GMT

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:12:34 -0700, you wrote:

>As a few weeks old newcomer to this list who is tiptoeing around the
>idea of endurance riding I was getting ready to drop the whole notion
>along with this list. The last few days of squabbling over feeding
>and supplements was giving me concerns that I had wandered into the
>WRONG arena. I was NEVER gonna be able to do this, much less
>understand it. Thanks to the recent post of Robert Morris about good,
>basic feeding, I have been given new hope that an average person like
>myself might actually be able to do this with some degree of=20
>success. Thank you Mr. Robert Morris for injecting some wisdom into
>this topic. I appreciate it.

As so many competitive and/or athletic pursuits, there are many levels =
and
goals in endurance. With a sound healthy horse, some hours in the saddle
conditioning and some basic common sense feed and care, you can finish =
nearly
any fifty mile ride. With a good horse and a some more work you can Top =
Ten
most rides.

Those people who want to get the very most they can out of themselves and
their mounts, or who wish to compete at the highest levels, need to do =
the
intense training and conditioning, and research the esoteric details of
nutrition. That's not for everyone. I would guess that most of the =
people
who put forth that kind of effort didn't get into endurance expecting to =
do
so, but started with the basics and added the finer points later.

I must admit that I don't read every posting on this list. It is a great
resource, but unless you have lots of time on your hands you need to be
selective in using it.

Good luck on your new horse. I'm looking for a good prospect myself in =
the
Mountain Region. My criteria may differ from the average endurance buyer=
-- I
favor smaller horses, about 14.2, with 15.0 my upper limit.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net
Business http://www.mti.net