Re: Natural Glo

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 09:54:08 -0800

Wendy -

I need to trade some Washington grown selenium deficient hay for yours.

The product indicates 1ppm minimum. This translates to 1mg/kg which is 10 times the
recommended amount and 1/2 the level at which toxicity begins (assuming it is the sole
food). A great supplement in selenium deficient areas since it is not fed as sole food
(ignoring its other problems - see separate post), but definately not where you already
have high selenium hay. I suspect the reason that no maximum figure is given is because
selenium in rice bran varies greatly depending on where the food is grown. It would also
appear from this number that it may contain added selenium over and above what natural
occurs in rice bran. The high amount is probably for two reasons. One, it may be
designed as a supplement for areas that are selenium deficient and two, the product
contains fat which I understand (second hand) requires additional selenium and vitamin
E. If this is true, then corn oil would be a good supplement in your situation.

I was unaware of the copper selenium relationship. Please send me any information you
have on that subject.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net