Re: Disunited Trot

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 21:31:31 -0800

My experience is primarily with Peruvians and Foxtrotters. They are very
balanced in gait. It is actually very difficult to get most Peruvians to
trot. Let them get uncollected and they may shift into a pasotrote (fox
trot) but generally not a true trot. I know of one person who as a young
4-H-er obtained a horse from that was sold for non payment of boarding
fees. She either didn't know the horse's breed or didn't understand the
breed and spent a good part of her 4-H career unsuccessfully attempting to
teach this horse how to trot. Most of the gaited breeds are stable in gait
with the possible exception of some of the walkers that have trouble in
rough terrain due to long low stride.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net