Re: winter shoeing options????

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:44:47 -0800

Teddy;

Okay, then add wet grass and ice. I did a 50 this season with easy boots on
where the trail was almost all wet grass and boggy, most of the horse were
slipping and losing shoes everywhere, but we went right thru with easy boots
on and I don't remember slipping at all. I know some of it does have to do
with the horse, so everybody needs to decide for themselves what works for
them. When I ride form home I need to go probably 1/8 to 1/4 mile down a
paved street to get to the trail, and even when it is frozen over and a
sheet of ice my horse walks down it just fine with easy boots on. If he
doesn't have the easy boots on and just has metal shoes he slips and slides
a lot. There is a big difference, and either way I am always extra careful
and lead him thru stuff like that just to be safe.

Karen

P.S. No comment about wet leaves...

At 09:39 AM 12/20/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I wrote:
>
> >I use easyboots over bare feet and over shoes with tons of good luck in the
> >winter. We, too, have lots of mud and little snow or ice. But, Easyboots
> >are slick on ice or wet grass or wet leaves...BEWARE!!!

>on
> when he goes thru ice, mud, or wet footing, at least not like he would with
> plain old regular metal shoes on. The easy boots make things MUCH safer.
>
> Happy Holidays!!!
>
> Karen
> in Gardnerville
> & Dream Weaver
> & Rocky
> Happy Trails!!<<<
>
>Read my words!!! I said wet grass and leaves and ice, not mud and water!!! I
>ride with Easyboots through mud and water..through bogs, etc..and have yet to
>lose one or slip...Wet grass (dew in the AM) and ice are death!!! (depending
>on who hits the ground first). Maybe east coast "wet" is different, but this
>is certainly true out here.
>
>Teddy
>

>Teddy
>

> Karen