Re: Mileage / Wealth

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 20:29:42 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Connie Hoge wrote:

> My goal was to officially record the miles I ride. Had originally thought
> that one received a "certificate of completion" at endurance rides. i.e. Name
> of ride, miles, date, placing. Was dissapointed to learn that if you do not
> finish top ten, you receive nothing.

I don't know what rides you have gone to, but I have NEVER gone to and
endurance ride that did not have some kind of award for every horse/rider
that completed (called a....oddly enough..."completion award"). I have
gotten things such as buckets, water bottles, T-shirts (not my favorite
thing), medallions, certificates, patches.... In fact, Tevis is the only
ride I know of that makes the participants pay extra if they want the
completion award (which I guess makes perfect sense...after all...I would
just as soon pay less in entry fees and skip "another T-shirt"). I could
care less about a certificate, and I know my horse doesn't care either.

Give me a hoof pick, or a dandy brush (or anything else I can use on my
horse) any day. If you want paper "evidence" that your horse completed
the ride, save your old vet cards; ride management is supposed to mail it
back to you (or maybe they aren't supposed to, but every ride I have ever
gone to always does) after they have submitted all the paperwork to the
AERC and the ride results become official (i.e. after the protest period
has elapsed).

Is this because I ride in the west?? Are things different in other parts
of the country?

kat
Orange County, Calif.