Fw: Strongid C

Karen Steenhof (steenhof@cyberhighway.net)
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 15:37:20 -0700

----------
> From: Jim & Julie Capaldi <hosp@mindspring.com>
> To: Ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Strongid C
> Date: Sunday, December 08, 1996 9:32 AM
>
> Has anyone heard of negative side effects from using Strongid C over a 1
> 1/2 year period? A friend of mine said her mare was "not herself",
> checked out okay medically, but was not as motivated, forward moving
> etc. as she had been before. In passing, I did hear something about it
> but I can't remember when or where.

In 1994 after about 3 summers on Strongid C, my gelding was "not himself"
after 50 mile rides. Blood work showed him to be anemic. The vets I
talked to had all heard anecdotal cases of anemia in horses who had been on
strongid c for awhile, but no research had been done at the time. I took
him off the strongid c, and he started to get better. It took about 6
weeks before he was "himself" again. The following year he completed over
1100 miles of endurance with no problems and none of the symptoms
(out of gas, basically) that we saw in 1994.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
..