Re: WEG and horses in trouble

C.M.Newell (reshan@deyr.ultranet.com)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:35:57 -0500 (EST)

Teddy wrote:
>I felt at the time (and still do now in light of Valerie wishing to excuse
>foreign riders from qualifications) that it was not in the best interest of
>the sport to allow horses AND/OR riders who were not adeqautely qualified to
>compete at WEG or in any other competition where the stakes are high. Many
>of you already know that there were MANY (not the majority) riders and horses
>who, in MY opinion as well as that of others, were not adequately ready for
>this level of competition.

While I'm not familiar with any of the particulars here, I have to
agree that if you're going to set minimum criteria,(IMHO a good thing) they
should be across the board. The Olympic 3-day event has excluded national
teams that it felt were not of sufficient caliber to make it around the
cross country without danger. Why should endurance riding do less?
--CMNewell
"The expression in a horse's eye is like a blessing on a good man's house."
--Sayied iben-el Rabil, quoting the Prophet