Re: Cash prizes

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 22:50:45 +0500

>Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 22:50:20 +0500
>To: Beverley Fields <elammal@erols.com>
>From: Gwen Dluehosh <dluehosh@vt.edu>
>Subject: Re: Cash prizes
>
>I dont' think it's the cash to SPONSOR the event that bothers people. It's
the CASH AWARD TO the RIDERS that bothers people. I as a future vet would
like to think that I can be ethical enough to refuse money to pass that
horse so he can get into the dawing for the cash prize- and I will.
>There are STEWARDS at races and also at A rated horse shows, and there is
STILL abuse at these same. SO I don't know how this would be better. WE are
paying for that steward everytime we go to an A rated show, and yet it
doesn't seem to help sometimes. Witness teh discussion going on on ARabL.
> To channel the funding to other sources- to AERC even or the Forest
Service or beneficial things would be better. How about funding some
research projects ON the endurance horse? There are precious few graduate
projects out there on horses as it is.

>>. They know that there are deep
>>concerns in the community and that if they mismanage this event with horses
>>getting hurt or dying, then they will lose the support of the good and "
>>professional quality riders " that they are trying to attract.
>
>OH I do expect that if horses die then there will be no more money
involved, but horses die in racing and it's so common that no one really
says anything- how about Go for Wand, and all the other poor horses who have
run that one last race and had to be put down? What about the yearling sales
that go on every year, and all the horses that go to the (meat) market every
year because they WEREN"T good enough? It makes me sick.

>So you should
>>expect a high quality of management, rule checking, and vet control. If this
>>does not occur, then the wrath of the endurance community combined with the
>>legal system ( humane officers have police and arrest powers in Virginia)
>>will spell the end of this endeavor.
>This IS true. Except that if you are feeding, watering and haying and
providing shelter for your horses, they overlook the fact sometimes that the
horse is being mentally abused. I have seen this.

> Second, the notion that Stewards' rulings can be appealed to AERC
>>needs to be changed or we will not get good officials. No other equine
>>discipline makes their judges subject to second guessing. I know that we are
>>adverse to " more rules" but if we want to do this well; then AERC must step
>>up and make rules that truly spell out what riders and organizers can and
>>cannot do.
>MOre rules.... I thought the AERC was trying to avoid this?This still won't
cover every individual situation.

>> All this I suggest is evolution; painful, disruptive, and making our
>>own futures as riders, trainers, and devotees to the sport nervous.
>>Pandora's box is open; we wanted more money backing, we wanted more news
>>coverage, we wanted all these good things and now we are going to have it.
>>The box is not going to be closed because we are in pain.
>
>But we do not have to have cash awards and higher entry fees as a result.
>
>> Twenty years ago, there were some who predicted:
>>a. Sub 10 hour 100 mile rides,
>>b. That use of the Canter and Hand Gallop would be common- place and perhaps
>>be beneficial,
>>c. That there would be races to the finish after 100 miles.
>But these do not involve CASH!
>MOstly points! YOu can't buy things with points!
>
>> We have had professional quality riders for 15 years, we just don't
>>see them getting a salary. The training and conditioning regimen of our top
>>riders are professional in time and quality of effort. Now they will compete
>>for renumeration and those who are not so professional will have a target to
>>measure achievenments just like the Race of Champions.
>
>Or they will start to not like to go to endurance rides, just like we don't
like going to shows and the racetrack and watching the horses go by and
knowing we will never have the financial backing to make it in the sport.
Right now I can see me in 15 years or so being able to do well here If all
this changes, well.... It'll be like having a racehorse that can do ok at
Charles Town but would never make the Kentucky Derby.

>>1. None of the bad predictions have to or will take place, that if we
>>examine the records closely concerning money type awards, we may not find
>>that all the bad things predicted are happening;
>>2. This really could be advantageous for the sport;
>>3. We should encourage and help AERC meet this challenge;
>>4. And finally we should expect and demand the highest caliber of ride
>>management.
>We are going to HAVE to do these things if we expect to still have the
grass roots behind this sport.
>Just my thoughts on this.
>Gwen Dluehosh #13075

Gwen Dluehosh