RE: Travel Documents

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 12:56:23 -0600

At 01:16 PM 12/3/96 -0500, Flemmer, Linda wrote:
>Virginia requires a negative coggins within the last 12 months, a health
>certificate obtained from a veterinarian within the last 30 days
============
Do most of you get health certificates_ every time_ you cross state lines? I
asked this on E-L a while back and I couldn't believe the number of people
that travel every weekend that didn't even know that such a thing existed -
thought the coggins was it.

I was getting a h.c. earlier in the year for each ride then decided to take
my chances as the year went on- the h.c. cost me at least $20 each time I
got one, not to mention scheduling it with my vet, etc... and it seemed like
everywhere I was going wanted one that was done in the last 10 days so if I
went to rides two weeks apart - two h.c. - now maybe my vet was looking at
the wrong guidelines - I admit I didn't take the time to research it myself
and will before taking off next season.

*Technically*, you're supposed to have a h.c. on any animal you have with
you - yes, even your canine buddy in the cab - I admit I have never gone to
that trouble...but, I digress.....

I did get one for crossing in KY (have always heard chances are high to get
checked there with TB racing industry) and I did when I went to VA as I was
crossing several state lines however I didn't for going to GA and MS -
bordering states. Don't ask me for my logic in this - there's not much :->

So...'fess up you guys - are you all legal? <g>

Tina
Tony & Embers (are there carrots in jail?)
hickst@nichols.com