Re: new shoes - need help

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:22:01 -0800

Linda Flemmer wrote:

> Laney,
> You write:
> >
> > << Susan - the gist of the replies I got when I posted your problem to the BB
> > at www.horseshoes.com is: a 25 ride might make any horse tired enough to
> > interfere. Watch and see if the horse continues to interfere. If so, when
> > time for a reset, have the farrier watch the horse's way of going before
> > doing the shoeing.
> > Laney
>
> This is DHAC (Doesn't Have A Clue) response! We Have a gelding doing
> 50's regularly, but developed some lameness related to his
> conformation & stifle. The vet's advice after exhaustive testing -
> "ride him regularly, at least 5 minutes walking, 10 trotting, and 5
> walking, minimum of 3 times per week! He needs excercise!" What
> does he think we do? What he prescribed is Major's <warmup>.
>
> This equates to "a 25 ride might make any horse tired enough to interfere"!
> My horse is warmed up at 25 miles! If he is "tired" at that point,
> there are other serious problems to consider.
>
> It's great that these farriersa re interested in helping, but they
> need to be educated to our sport first.
>
> Linda Flemmer
> ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
> Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
>
> "In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"

I agree Linda,

Although this was Sabian's first 25 mile race. He was far from tired and
could have done a 50 if I'd have been willing. He moved with great
energy and suspension during the entire 25 and never broke a sweat

When I had the farrier watch us at the trot after a 10 minute warmup.
Sabian immediately started clicking and the farrier said he'd seen
enough to know what to do.

We'll see Friday when he comes out to reset.

Happy Tails
Susan & Sabian