Re: New Shoes - Need Help

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:52:40 -0800

Jim Mitchell wrote:

> Tivers@aol.com wrote:
> >

> > You have to get your horse off herself because every "click" means that she's
> > going to try to do something extra with her back, her hocks--any other part
> > to try to get off herself--lameness, muscle soreness, back soreness--all
> > these will result. Again, the principle that will work, a step at a time, is
> > to shorten the toes and raise the angles in front--lengthen the toes and
> > lower the angles behind. But it has to be done a little at a time--no more
> > than 2 degrees change per shoeing.
>
> Tom
> I've heard you should square or roll the rear feet as well. This speeds up both
> breakovers and keeps the stride shorter. (I think) If you lengthen the rears you will
> cause the rear feet to stay on the ground longer and then he will reach farther after it
> does breakover increasing the likelihood of interference. (clicking) Also keeping the
> feet on the ground longer would put increased stress on the tendons and hocks, areas we
> need to avoid any additional stress on.
> Also I believe the angle should match the fetlock angle (usually). This is the angle
> of the hoof wall, not the angle to the rolled or squared point. I try never to mess with
> this angle.
> These are my understanding of the mechanics, further explanation of your answer would
> help.
> Also maturity seems to reduce the incidence of clicking, unfortunately I think it is
> the loss of flexibility in maturing athletes that stops the clicking, so it may be a
> sign of wear as well as a sign of a stronger, more balanced athlete.
>
> Thanks
> Jim Mitchell
> Bakersfield, Ca.
Thanks Group for ALL your fine Input.

This is the latest about our birth pains. I've tried to get more
information about how Sabian was shod. After continuing to look at the
job...it still looks to me like a great shoe job. Here is some more
techie data for you techies.

Front toe length 3"
Rear toe length 3 1/8-3 1/4

Nick Locations
L front heel bulb: 1 mark is high, lateral, 1" above coronary band
1 mark is lateral at the hoof line

R front heel bulb: 1 mark on the inside of the medial bulb at the
coronary band

Hoof angles as measured with a goniometer are 52-56 degrees.

Hoof angles line up with pasterns well.

I spoke with my farrier who is very expereienced with cutting and
reining horses- never done an endurance horse before and explained that
I needed to have some correction on Sabian's problem soon. He's had 3
weeks of hoof growth since shoeing so let's make some changes. He' said
he wanted to get a longer heel and shorter toe in front and possibly
square the toes in back.

I really think he's willing to work through this with us. I'll keep you
informed.

Many Thanks to All

Susan and Sabian