Re: BRAN MASHES

Deanne Del Vecchio (delvecchio@geocities.com)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:25:31 -0800

Joyce Kellenberger wrote:

> I would be curious to know if any of you who have tying up problems also feed
> bran mash on a regular basis?

Hi! Deanne here, again....(Yes, I make all the mistakes you all talk about!)
I've been feeding bran mashes forever, anywhere from once a week with
psyllium added to control sand, to daily doses of about a pound? mixed with a
cup of corn oil, Selenium, Electrolytes, CS, etc. Gabe loves bran and it's
the easiest way to have him eat all his supplements.

Gabe has also tied up three times in six years! I wasn't aware that wheat
bran could be harmful! Most everyone I know feeds bran, especially in the
winter (nice 'n hot!) to get lots of water into the system if a horse doesn't
like very cold water. Also at rides. I guess because the horses love bran so
much and it is easy to get them to eat and get that old gut moving.

So, since we're on the subject:
I've been wanting to ask if anyone knows if bran consumption could also be
the cause of Gabe wanting to eat dirt? Not just any old dirt, but rich,
earthy, meadow-type earth. Sometimes he will be grazing, and I'll see him
just continue to eat the grass clump down, down, down, and right into the
earth. Sometimes he'll eat huge clumps of earth/grass roots, etc. I guess he
must be craving some kind of mineral that he is lacking? Any ideas? I know,
I know, I need to get a blood test.....but, until then....

--
Deanne Del Vecchio & Gabe
Living and Loving in Lake Tahoe