Re: Ride Maps

Janet Evans (JEvans@linotype.co.uk)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 18:18:30 +0000

Hello Deanne,
In the UK you will always get a photocopy of the "Topo Map" with
the route highlighted on it. Part of the pre-ride details will be
the map ref no. so that you can pre-purchase the original if you
wish to. When you receive the ride details, usually two weeks
before the ride, you can then copy the route onto your original
map.
It should be remembered that in the UK our rides whilst in rural
areas,are probably in comparison to the USA filled with land marks,
crossing many roads, passing through villages etc. having a map
with this detail certainly helps to keep you aware of where you are
at any given time. By the way we will usually have a typed talk
around as well, unless the ride is all forest trail, Left past
third oak doesn't help much in a forest!! We do suffer from marker
vandals a lot, so it always useful to keep an eye on roughly where
you are in case you have to work out the route for yourself.
Our local endurance riding group for the last two years has held a
map reading course, which has be well attended, the riders spend a
day learning how to do it, and the next day ride a trail, that's
not marked to get the feel of using the map.
In the past I rode with one of our top endurance riders who
confessed to being a hopeless map reader, when we spent a day
together marking her ride, I went through the basics of map
reading, (we where on foot), it was like watching dawn breaking ,
she couldn't believe how beautifully easy it was.

Going back to a previous topic about emergencies out on the trail
and carrying a mobile phone with you. It certainly helps rescue
services it you can give them a map ref. as a location if you are
hurt on a trail in the middle of nowhere!

Happy trails

Jan