Re: trot/canter heartrates.

barfield@primenet.com
Mon, 25 Nov 96 02:38:19 GMT

On 11/21/96 6:23PM, in message <"OiB6l2.0.DR1.AFGbo"@starfish>,
ridecamp@endurance.net wrote:

> I have done some experimenting with heart rates at the trot vs lope. A
> lot depends at what gait is the most comfortable for the horse. Racer has
> to be trotting awfully fast before I can switch to a lope & see a lower
> heart rate.Other horses I have ridden do have a lower rate at the lope then
> the same speed (mph) trot. HOWEVER on a horse I borrowed this year--We
> were trotting at a HR of about 140.When I dropped to a walk his HR began
> to drop immediately, slowly & steadily. When we would lope, his HR was
> 115-120,BUT when I dropped to a walk the HR would INCREASE to 150 or so
> before beginning to drop.I never went on to develop any profound
> conclusions as to which was "best", I was really just amusing myself.DIMR
> leads to doing strange things for fun!Nancy.
> Based on your post, I suspect that your heart monitor was not making good
> contact when you were loping and the increase you saw at the walk was the
> result of contact being made when you sat down at the walk-not an increase in
> heart rate.

Jerry Barfield

RReceived: (from majordom@localhost) by fsr.com (8.8.2/8.7.3) id SAA23456; Sun, 24 Nov 1996 18:53:45 -0800 (PST)
From: RUN4BEAR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 21:55:29 -0500
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: New Shoes - Need Help

I have almost all my horses shod at between 54 and 56 in front...less stress
on tendons and ligaments and most have a better pastern angle and actually
travel better that way. The back is about the same I might add.

Teddy

eceived: (from majordom@localhost) by fsr.com (8.8.2/8.7.3) id SAA23498; Sun, 24 Nov 1996 18:53:58 -0800 (PST)