Re: the many - and interesting - discussions on LA, training vs LA..

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:02:23 -0800

Michael K Maul wrote:

> the mail on the topics of latic acid, how lean your horse should
> be, training schedules... are what the listserv was really meant for
> and it's great to see this use of it.
>
> i have seen a huge amount of information on it in the past several weeks
> and sorting through all of it to see what it really means is difficult.
>
> is there anyone on the list knowledgeable enough - and willing -
> to summarize the important points so we can use it without each one
> of us having to read through all the articles and trying to come
> to our own conclusions?

Well, willing, yes. Knowledgable, guess it depends on who you're
asking. I AM working on several articles for submission to Endurance
News on several of the subjects we've been discussing lately.
Specifically, a discussion of anaerobic threshold and LA, why or why not
lactates are important or not, other contributing factors of fatigue,
which I should have done in the next day or so. Also working on an
article of the kinetics of why horses change gaits (or why they do
better at one speed than another---it's more complicated AND more simple
than you'd think). Also slated to do an article for Tevis Forum on the
results of the aforementioned fat horse/skinny horse research. So be
patient, it's coming. Keep in mind I try to write articles based on the
published research, not my own opinions, whenever possible, but some of
you may not necessarily agree with my conclusions or interpretations,
which is OK too.

Or, I assume most of this stuff is in Tom's book, if you happen to have
ninety bucks handy, which works, too.

Susan Evans
California State Polytechnic University