Re: Heart rate monitors for beginners

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:40:55 -0600

At 4:26 PM 11/20/96, Jude Hall wrote:

>What I thought was a pretty good pace only had my
>horse's heart rate at around 110-115. According to
>the manual that came with the HRM, it was way below
>what would improve condition.

Just remember that those are generalizations tho - I thought the same thing
before I realized I would have to be running the pants off of Embers to
some of the rates mentioned in the booklet. He can trot _wide-open_ at 105
or less and canter all day at 120 or less - to hit the rates they talk in
the book I'd have to run him wide-open for I don't know how long which I'm
not inclined to do :-). So I spent a couple of weeks finding out what was
normal for Embers and then decided what I wanted my increasedrates for
improvement to be based on his norms - not terribly scientific I agree but
the suggested rates simply weren't feasible for this horse IMO.

Just my experience on this horse - your mileage may vary <g>.

Tony doesn't seem to have quite the rock bottom rates Embers does so the
recommended rates may by closer to normal for him - hafta see.

Tina
Tony - my rates are pretty darn good - he's just dead, that's all
Embers - huh?
hickst@nichols.com