Re: NEAR-MAXIMAL INTERVAL TRAINING --long

Linda VanCeylon (LVanCeylon@vines.ColoState.EDU)
Wed, 20 Nov 96 9:09:07 MST

Hi Bobbie,

Sure, let me try to clarify for you.
>Bobbie wrote:
>Just a few questions to help put your program in perspective:

>How many days per week do you do these intervals?
>Do you do any sort of "background mileage" in between training days?

It's not days per week, more like days per month. In preseason training,
we do 3 rides per week. 1 day dressage, 1 day 10-15 miles aerobic trotting,
1 day intervals. For the first two weeks the intervals are much lighter
than those in my last post. Then the last two weeks before our first event
we change to the tougher intervals. Our first events of the season we just
go to complete. However, we usually Top-10 anyway. But, we just ride our
ride.

>Are these gallop bursts "all out"?

YES. But you must remember, this mare has LOTS of foundation miles. I did
not start these types of intervals until her third year of training, and
second year of competing. She had over 250 slow competition miles. AND,
she had never been unsound.

>What is your mare's typical recovery time in a vet check?

I plan my recovery time to be zero, if I plan incorrectly sometimes it
takes 2-3 minutes to recover. However, depending on the ride schedule, we
don't always get to do our intervals between competitions, then I notice it
at the PR check. I give her a week off, for every 50 miles she does in
competition. I believe they've got to have the time off or they'll break
down.

This year our goal was to do all 250 miles of Susie Schomburg's rides in
August. We did all three days of the Shamrock 50's and Buhni looked great!
But, then we only had two weeks to "get ready" for the next two 50's @
Cottonwood Creek/MRER. So, Buhni had 2 weeks off instead of the 3 weeks
she really needed. I lounged her to make sure she was sound before I
loaded up the trailer. Then, we went and did two back to back 50's and she
looked great again! Then she had three weeks off before we went back to
our training schedule. We worked back up to the difficult intervals, in
the second week of training after the layoff.

>Are you training principally for 100s or 50s or both?

For all distances I train the same. I just pace my horse differently in
competition depending on the distance I plan to do.

Linda Van Ceylon & Buhni
lvanceylon@vines.colostate.edu