Re: pregnant mares in competition

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:11:53 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Marieke Brinks wrote:

> I am planning to start endurance riding but my five year old mare is
> pregnant.

Pregnancy in mares is like pregnancy in women. You can continue to do
the things you have always done, but shouldn't take up a new sport while
pregnant, so...unless she is already in condition and has been trail
riding for quite some time (i.e. the only new thing you will be doing is
going to the competition), you really ought to put this off until after
she foals.

Additionally, if she is already pregnant, presumably she was bred in the
spring which would make her...about 5 - 7 months along?? Coming up on time
to stop anyway.

> I have to complete three 25 miles rides before I can go to 50 miles (The
> Dutch Endurance organisation) and I was wondering if I could do them with
> my pregnant mare and start to compete more serious when she's not pregnant
> anymore.

There may also be rules in the Dutch Endurance organisation that
prohibits competing on a pregnant mare too. That I don't know.

kat
Orange County, Calif.