Re: fly masks/interference

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Mon, 04 Nov 96 18:59:25 EST

I didn't see any direct replies to your questions so I finally have
some time to give a few opinions.

Yes, your horse is having problems with blocked tear ducts from the
dust. The tears should drain internally thru the ducts that end within
the nostrils. If your horse has tears running down his face his ducts
are plugged. You may be able to clear the blocks by massaging the area
just below the corners of the eyes. Often works. Otherwise your vet
will have to clear the blockages. And yes, your horse will be
perfectly safe turned out in fields, pens, etc. with a mask on. It's
done all the time around here.

Your horse's interfereing problem should improve once his feet are
balanced. A lot of horses need shoes to keep their walls balanced. I
know that you've probably been told plenty of times that a horse's
feet are healthier if left unshod. Buuuuuuuut.... many horses wear
their walls unevenly for a variety of reasons. I had one mare that was
cowhocked and would wear her inside walls considerably lower. She
interfered some till she had gone thru about 3 sets of shoes. It takes
a while to balance those feet back out. A friend is going thru this
with a horse right now. He's slowly improving as his heels balance
out. I'd suggest protective boot till he improves.

Since he is also clipping his front heels you may need to look at his
toes . They may be too long in front and/or in back. I just had my
farrier move the shoes further back on my horse's feet and roll the
front toes a little. He quit stubbing his toes and forging. A lot of
farriers leave too long of toe IMHO, no flames intended, just personal
experience over a lot of years.

Bonnie Snodgrass