Re: TWH

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:53:17 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, videoman wrote:

> "One final comment. At this years ROC the last 8 miles or so into the vet
> check at 65 miles was a long gradual down hill.

"Long, gradual downhill into a vet check" sounds to me like a wonderful
opportunity to get off and run along with my horse. Not knowing enough
about TWHs though, I don't know whether I could out run a "single
foot"--since I don't know what it is. But I can certainly outrun those
people who are riding their horses at the trot.

> I also ride a TWH, LD only at this time. His resting heart rate is
> regrettably high. I think the time we lose at vet checks we make up for
> with that wonderful single-foot down hill.

And when I am off my horse into the vet check, I certainly don't lose any
time there. I have yet to go downhill into a vet check where my horse
wasn't recovered by the time I even got to the P&R person. What holds me
up at vet checks is the length of time it takes to get from the in gate
to the P&R person, and how long it takes to find one (usually 1-2
minutes). By the time we actually get to the vet (after standing in
line) he will have recovered to about 44/48.

How fast can a TWH "single foot" down hill into a vet check (or the
finish line...although, personally a long _gradual_ downhill to the
finish line sounds like a nice opportunity to have a bit of a canter to
me...am I the only one who is willing to canter my horse down hill?
Cross country people do it all the time. At Santa Anita, the horses go
down hill at a full racing gallop.)

kat
Orange County, Calif.