Re: probable recovery

Lucie A. Hess (lhess01@mail.coin.missouri.edu)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:40:22 -0600 (CST)

My retired Appaloosa, Chief was flipped and rolled in a trailer accident
in 1987, it took about a year for him to recover, but he came back to do
Natrc rides and Endurance rides. He didn't have any broken bones but
probably had major internal bruising and muscle sprains. He was on the
drivers side of the trailer and was thrown up and over the divider onto
the passenger's side of the trailer as the trailer rolled. He hit the
top of his poll and actually had paralysis of the left side of his face
which resolved within a few weeks. He was so lucky not to break any bones
or his spinal column as his front legs went through the front of the
divider and were caught at an angle and he had one back leg over the back
part of the divider and the other on the side he was on originally. His
neck was twisted so bad that he was beginning to have trouble breathing
before we got his head loose. I do know he has one lasting problem which
showed up a year or so later, he has developed some type of nerve damage
in his rectum or colon and it causes him to have problems at times moving
his bowels and he has to work really hard to pass manure. (I have to be
real careful that his manure is soft and wet or he impacts really easy.)
I am reliving this accident in my mind as I type this and I pray
that I never have to experience another terrible and horrible event such
as this again. Chief and I were lucky we have had many fine years
together and were able to continue to travel and compete as we had been.
I hope the same for you. I do suggest you take the horse to a vet that
does Chiropractic work for an evaluation.

Lucie Hess
Columbia, Missouri
Chief Black Arrow -retired Appy
Moonhill Dandi -current mount- 7/8 Arab