Re: crewing & stuff to take along

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:22:19 -0500

There was lots of water on the trail in the way of creeks and streams so
they had plenty to drink and could stand in it to cool down. If I'd known
about the sponge then, I'd have taken one along.

They are just riders. They donn't compete and are pretty much self-taught.
They're nice folk, they've just always done it the way they've done it and
no one ever got hurt so why bother to change. They don't mean any harm,
they just don't see that squirting water will help their horses.

Where do yuo douse your horse? ON the neck, belly, butt? I was squirting
his neck since we were riding as I squirted. I'm very fortunate that my
horse drinks strange water and will stand in a stream. This definitely
cools her off faster than some of these other horses. I don't know how the
horses that won't drink manage.

alice

At 05:42 PM 10/22/96 EDT, you wrote:

>> but on rides with friends they always tell me I shouldn't be wasting my water
>on >the horse.
>WASTING WATER ON A HORSE......who ARE these people. I would seriously
>reconsider riding with them again. So now horses don't need water??? An
>interesting concept.
>
>>I've pretty much ignored them.
>Good for you. Depending on weather conditions and the distance you are
>traveling you may need to keep your horse from over heating by squirting water
>on him or using a sponge.
>I routinely carry four water bottles for my horse. Two to hose him down with
>and two for him to drink if I'm not sure there's any water for him where we're
>going.
>I wear a 70 oz camelback on my back for the fluids I need. This way...we're
>both staying hydrated.
>
>Alexandra and Mirage
>Palm Springs CA

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods