Re: longevity in endurance horses

Allen Xrealname Linda Eisele (linda@ghostridr.reno.nv.us)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:20:50 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:18 AM 10/21/96 -0500, Alice Steinke wrote:
>At watch age are comp. trail horses allowed to begin competition? How about
>endurance? How do you begin the condition? What's the average amount of
>ground covered a day? Do you ride only say 5-8 miles a day or do you take
>them about for 25 mile jaunts whenever possible?
>alice
Endurance horses can start 25 mile rides at 4 years of age and at 5 years 50
miles. We have started all our endurance horses and now have a green broke
one we are working on. I like to put a year of pleasure riding on them first
to get them use to creeks, handle things on the trail, learn to
behave...take them to a few rides to just observe and get use to all other
horses and excitment. After a year we start some serious trotting starting
out with alittle and adding more with less walking and some extention. At
this piont were are doing 5-10 mile easy trips, never adding distance at the
same time as speed. Once they are well legged up and have a good base we
throw in one long ride per week atleast a total of 2/3 the distance that we
are planning to do on the first ride, which is usually a 25 miler and we do
a few of thses till the horse learns to settle down , to pace etc. We chose
to leave at the back of the pack on these early rides. Once we are doing
50's we ride no less than 3 times a week 7-15 miles with one being 25 plus.
This has worked for us but horses are individuals and what may work for one
may not for another, some horses stay fitter longer with less conditioning
so on. It takes tendons and ligaments 2-3 years to adapt to the stresses of
endurance so those first three years should be done slowly and save the
racing to win for a few years or you may be trading in your horse for a new
one after 3-5 years. Hope this answer some of your questions. Linda
Here's lookin back atya.......()()
Linda Eisele & Sareei and ('')\
hubby, Allen and the General (* *)\\_______~~~~~~
linda@ghostridr.reno.nv.us ( )