Re:Stall to Pasture transition

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:17:29 -0500

When on pasture are you not still in a boarding situation? Do you not have
another friend who you could swap with. Are you planning to transition him
or just turn out? I would catch him to feed him outside the pature at least
one time daily if he's with a bunch of other horses. No point risking him
getting in a fight to get his food, or to get less than fair share (or
more). Don't you have anyone to help you? Husband, kid, brother, etc.
When I pasture boarded this is what I had (husband and neighbors helped if
necesary) but it was only my horses, so I didn't worry about separting them.
If you're going to have him out full time and you are gone a day here and
there, I don't believe it hurts them to be without grain for a short time
(in the summer). If there are other horses in field are you going to use
round bales in winter. If so, again, I wouldn't worry too much. It depends
on your schedule. If it's just a day or two. If it's a week here and there
that's different.
alice
At 01:23 AM 10/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi, it's time to think of turning my horse out to a pasture setting, but I'm
>concerned about how to manage graining him, or the transition to less grain.
>I've had him on LMF for years, never had a chance for a pasture setting, but
>I think it will be a healthier setting for him. How have other managed a
>pasture setting and trying to grain their horse will out in pasture with
>other horses? Any advice will help. So far I haven't found anyone offering to
>take extra $ to grain him regularly and my work schedule with travel is
>terrible for being consistent. Since he isn't racing now, what suggestions
>does anyone have? Funny, I'm really stuck on this issue?
>
>To pasture or not?
>
>Heather
>HeatherHG@aol.com

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods