Re: Riding Rained On Horse Harmful To Horse???

Joe Long (jflong@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 03:38:14 GMT

On Mon, 21 Oct 96 04:17:18 +0000, you wrote:

>Another question. I'd heard for years and years that you should never =
put
>water on the big muscles, back, etc of hot horse. I was always taught =
>just sponge or hose large veins on the legs b/c the blood would =
circulate
>through in 5 (?) minutes to cool whole horse. I thought if you hosed =
large
>muscles the horses would cramp or tie up or something. has thinking on =
this
>changed.
>alice

This topic has been covered before. In hot and humid conditions, many
endurance riders use lots of water, cool water if available, on most or
all parts of the horse. I've even applied cold (<50 degrees) water to
Kahlil in extreme conditions, including all over his back, with no ill
effects.

--=20

Joe Long
jflong@worldnet.att.net