Re: buying a horse...

Janet Evans (JEvans@linotype.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:34:28 +0100

Lucy,
When I bought my first horse in 1989, I wanted the same spec as you.
I ended up buying a 14.2h part bred Arab, that was Anglo Arab and New
Forest Pony breeding. The Native pony in him, has given him a sensible
nature,a hardy type, and he keeps condition easily, I've had no leg
problems with him at all. The Arab part, has given him a typical wide
action behind, helps to keep him out of trouble, and of course a
beautiful look, the throughbred part adds the "go faster stripes" he
loves speed.

This horse was advertise as an 11 yr old,vetted as a 13 yr old, I
later found out he was in fact 15 years. However, for all that, I've
had real fun with this old timer. We did our first 50 at 18yrs and in
1991 at 19, he completed the Golden HorseShoe Ride at Exmoor, one of
our most prestigous rides, .He was the oldest horse on the course, and
got tremendous applause at the trophies ceremony. I've now retired him
from competition, but at 23yrs I'm still riding him around the local
area.

I've always stuck to Geldings myself, because as a first time buyer
the hormone problem seemed an extra problem to cope with, and I want
as few as possible! However several friends of mine have mares, and
wouldn't have anything else. If things don't go to plan, and you have
to retire a mare early, it at least might have a future as a brood
mare. With a gelding, it future is pretty bleak.

Good luck, and have fun

Regards

JAN EVANS, Starlight and Al Rajul