Re: 4 wheel drive?

Jim Mitchell (navion@bak2.lightspeed.net)
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 16:32:37 -0700

RUN4BEAR@aol.com wrote:

> WOW Susan!!! You just got the same trailer I have!!!
>
> Now..concerning trucks. I have somewhat bad news for you... That trailer
> loaded is 13,000 pounds. With ANY pickup on the market, you will scale
> total gross weight of 20,000 pounds. There is NO pickup on the market that
> is rated to pull that weight.
I certainly don't want to start the "pickup wars" but the 1997 Ford 250 diesels are
rated to carry up to a 14,000 lb gooseneck trailer with a GCWR of 20,000. If you go cab
& chassis you can go up to 22,000 GCWR with a diesel and 26,000 GCWR with a big gas.
I towed a 13,000 lb. bumper pull all over lower Calif with an 84 Ford 250 with the big
gas and had no problems. (manual transmission)
I think Ford rates their pickups a little higher than Dodge or Chevy but I currently
drive a Chevy.
I do agree with Teddy that if I drove 40,000 + miles a year pulling that heavy of a
trailer I would move up another class to the F-500's Freightliner's etc. If you are
only going to trailer 5000 miles a year I think I would stay with a pickup. But that is
my personal choice only.
Jim Mitchell
Bakersfield, Ca.