ridecamp@endurance.net: (Fwd) Re: [endurance] First 25 mile-how fast is too fast

(Fwd) Re: [endurance] First 25 mile-how fast is too fast

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:42:27 -0500 (EST)

From: Self <CHKD-7/CVLNURS>
To: Petdoc6@aol.com
Subject: Re: [endurance] First 25 mile-how fast is too fast
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:53:27

Carol,

You wrote:
> I am planning on doing my first 25 mile race. E News doesn't publish times
> so it is hard to determine just what people mean by a fast 25 vs a slow 25.
> Allowing for variations in terrain and temperature, what do you consider to
> be a good time for which to aim.

A "fast" 25 is 2 hours (12-13 mph), while a "slow" 25 is using the
entire time of 6 hours. You should find a measured area of about 12
miles, hopefully in terrain similar to the ride you want to attend,
& time you & your horse at a comfortable pace. You will take about
twice this long to complete the 25. You'll probably go a bit faster
at the beginning (excitement), and a lot slower at the end so it will
all even out.

A "good time for which to aim" is whatever you & your horse are ready
for - not somebody else's pace. Our first ride was at 6.5 mph
(barely fast enough) because I held him back - not sure how he'd
do. We now ave 8-10 mph for 25 miles, and quite a bit slower for
50's (6 mph) after one year of training.

I hope that this helps.

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"