ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] LMF feed & High horse??

Re: [endurance] LMF feed & High horse??

Raina Hodgson (srponies@seanet.com)
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 22:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

At 06:50 PM 7/7/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Hey y'all! Life at this end of the world has pretty much sucked lately.
>I'm hoping maybe somebody out there can give me some insight.... But
>before I get started, this is -NOT- about "I hate my Arabian" (in fact I
>LOVE arabs), and it's not about "I hate my high horse" (her high-ness
><<pun intended>> has never been a problem). That said, HELP!
>
>Has anybody had any problems with LMF feed making their horse *REALLY*
>high? Special is getting 3 lbs of LMF endurance G on off days, and 6 lbs
>on days I ride her. (this is what the vet told me to give her) She was
>laid off for 6 weeks (tied-up, abcess, I hurt my back), and I just started
>riding her again about 2 weeks ago. We've been doing lot's of arena work,
>lunging, 1 road ride, and 3 or 4 trail rides. None of it is "training
>riding". The problem? She's acting -C-r-A-z-Y-!!!!

Marisa- My mare was the same way... she run out in the field all day long
and when she came in at night she couldn't keep all four legs on the ground
for anything. My friend's gelding was the same way... she had been doing
limited distance rides with him and moved up to fifties because everyone
said it would finally tire him out *NOT* He still tried to run over the
vets, pit crew, etc after 50 miles and Brenda was exhausted from fighting
him the whole day...(both horses on recommended amounts or less of LMF
ENER-G) Moral of the story...we don't feed LMF endurance ENER-G anymore. I
know it works for some horses and they do very well with it but it hasn't
been our experience.
I questioned Dr. Stephen Duran about the ingredients at `95 PNER
convention... I don't have them in front of me but doesn't it state "grain
products" or some other mysterious sounding ingredient? I asked what that
ingredient was and he wouldn't tell me...he just said it was a highly
digestible energy product or something like that...hmmm... Anyway, I'm sure
that it works well for a lot of horses, but there are some (mine and
possibly yours as well) who become absolute loony monsters on the stuff.
I now feed an oats, barley, rice bran concoction (sp) and my friend
Brenda feeds LMF Super Supplement, whole oats, and corn oil. Both horses
are much saner, a lot more enjoyable to ride, and holding weight well etc...
GOOD LUCK! Raina and Starrzza