ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: Loose reins

[endurance] Re: Loose reins

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Fri, 05 Jul 1996 08:58:14 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Thu, 4 Jul 96 10:28:38 PDT
> From: "Sullys Maze" <Sully@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Karen,

You wrote:

> -I agree, this is also a safety issue. All my reins are 8 1/2 ft,
> this works well, especially since one of my mares is very short
> necked. This is still long enough for them to get their heads down
> to drink. I just ordered some nice round rope reins from Trails
> End, I specifically ask for 8 1/2 reins. They turned out
> really nice.

I'm reading this thread about safety & longer reins w/ interest. I
ride w/ 10' (& sometimes longer) reins so that I can tail when I need
to. I have never had a problem, but I can see that the potential is
there.

Do you find that the 8 1/2' reins are longer enough to tail? I
suspect that 8 1/2 feet may be a little short for drinking if the
horse is taller. (My friend is riding a 16.3 Anglo Arab. I can't
imagine drinking from a stream when leaning down from the bank w/
only 8 1/2' on her.) How tall is your horse? Is he long or short
necked? Have you had a problem w/ 10' reins that made you switch, or
was it a precaution?

Thanks!

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"