ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Alternatives to Biothane?

Re: [endurance] Alternatives to Biothane?

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Tue, 02 Jul 1996 17:27:22 -0500 (EST)

Bonnie,

You wrote:

> As a newbie to this sport I have numerous questions about the
> different tack and equipment used. I've looked at Biothane
> halter/bridles and have had experience with nylon bridles but was
> wondering if there are other alternatives. I seem to recall an ad for
> bridles made of another nylon coated material that claimed to be
> softer or more flexible than Biothane. Does anyone on the list know of
> such a thing and if so what would be a source?

There IS such a thing - it is called "Thriftfree" . It is a black
rubbery coating on nylon webbing. You can get it in any color you
want, as long as it is black! (Henry Ford Special!) There are
limited styles - a halter bridle style w/ a buckle on bit (no quick
snaps), a quick change training bridle (bit snaps on), and a
traditional english style w/ caveson. It is more flexible, and it
has a bit more grip to it. Plain Biothane reins will slide thru your
hands when wet. This is less of a problem w/ Thriftfree. (If you DO
get Biothane, be sure to get rubber grips or web & Biothane so you
won't loose your reins.) Maintenance for Biothane & Thriftfree is
lower than with plain nylon - just hose it off, just like the
Biothane! Nylon tends to break down sooner & stretch more than
Biothane or Thriftfree.

I sell this (I'm Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies), as do a few other
endurance stores/catalogs. I personally like the Biothane better,
but the Thriftfree tends to be a bit cheaper than Biothane. Let me
know if you want sizing or ordering information on either the
Biothane or the Thriftfree.

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"