ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] sportsaddle question - fixed!

Re: [endurance] sportsaddle question - fixed!

MARISA---,'-@ ("MARISA---,'-@")
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:21:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, videoman wrote:

> At 02:21 PM 6/24/96 -0400, HorseWorks@aol.com wrote:
>
> >Who was it that ran and leaped over their horse's rump and inot the saddle???
> > Roy Rogers or Gene Autry?? Of course, at 40 miles into a 50 or 90 miles
> >into a 100, not many of us have that kind of energy! So, a lesson in
> >mounting properly.
> - snip -
> >All kidding aside, many riders grab the cantle with the right hand and the
> >pommel with the left, put their left foot in the stirrup and then drag
> >themselves up into the saddle. If you ride in the Sports Saddle or with a
> >loose cinch, this won't always work. Try as I suggested - grabbing onto the
> >neck/mane - instead of the pommel - with the left hand.

I ride a fairly mutton withered Arab, with a loose girth, and an english
saddle. The *first* thing I had to learn was--how to get on. There is
-no way- you can get on by holding pommel with one hand, cantle
with the other and pulling yourself up. Won't work! Things to use as
mounting blocks are a convenience, and I use them when I can, but they are
not always available. Getting on from the ground is quicker and easier.
I hold reins in my left hand (we are still working on STAND STILL!), put
left foot in the stirrup, place my hand in the middle of the saddle for
balance and hop. As soon as my weight is on the stirrup,
I lean my upper body over the saddle and grab mane with my right hand in
order to straighten myself. The other place you can grab with your right
hand, is the off side of your breast collar where it hooks to the saddle.
(learned that one with the kid's mare who has a roached mane)

What I -really- want to learn how to do, is that cool 'vault' into the
saddle that they do in the movies. Richard Gere did it in First Knight,
and Brad Pitt does it in Legends of the Fall. You know, stand next to
horse holding reins in left hand and facing rear of horse. Then swing
right leg up and over and land in saddle?! Anybody know how to do that
one or how to learn?

purpl2@teleport.com ** the most toys-- **
** still dies... **
Something Special, Idgie Threadgoode *************************