ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Ariats or Outdoor Cross-Trainers??

Re: [endurance] Ariats or Outdoor Cross-Trainers??

Raina Hodgson (srponies@seanet.com)
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:14:30 -0700 (PDT)

At 01:07 PM 6/24/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, my Miller's Sportifics finally have *had it* - after only 5 years of
>abuse and no care (hey - I think plastic tack that only requires dunking in
>a bucket for cleaning is the best thing since sliced bread :->), they have
>suffered a major blow out across the top of the foot.
>
>So, I am wavering between the Freestyle Ariat or one of the outdoor
>cross-training shoes that look like a cross between a hiking boot and a
>running shoe. I am working on being able to do more footwork on the trail
>and wonder if the Ariats will provide the traction needed for jogging down
>a rocky hill (for example). The outdoor shoes I have looked at all have a
>pretty serious looking tread with not quite a "real" heel, but enough of a
>change from ball to heel that with wide stirrups I think I would feel safe
>riding in them (sorry, that's my riding upbringing coming out - "hafta have
>a heel" :-.). They are lightweight enough in the store however I don't know
>how they feel in the stirrup.....
>
>Comments? Opinions? Real-life experiences? Does anyone out there use an
>outdoor cross-training shoe like I'm talking about?
>

>Tina and the crew
>hickst@nichols.com
>Huntsville, AL
>

> I have a pair of Nike Air all conditions gear hiking shoes/boots
that I love to ride in. They are great for footwork (ankle support, can't
feel the rocks at all, but with good traction and enough material on the
bottoms for stepping in puddles etc) However, beware of the shoes with
really thick treads -- that type have made my feet fall asleep... strive for
a medium depth tread.

Good luck! Raina